- Stay away from emotional spending. Just remember your brothers and sisters in Africa who are struggling to survive. They have no trouble with emotional spending as they don't have the extra cash to spend or the telelvision to tell them that they need to.
- Be content with such things as you have. It's not the end of the world if you don't get that new dress or car. If it is the end of the world there is something much more important to be concerned with and that is where we will be spending eternity.
- Use discount bakeries. If you do buy bread then take advantage of the discount bakeries in your area and freeze what you can for use in the future.
- Prudent men choose frugal wives. The Germans can be credited with many a proverb such as this. If you are not a frugal wife than stop considering becoming one and do it.
- Second hand clothing. Ok so that blouse on the rack may not fit you, or be your favorite color, but you could use the buttons to add to the dress that is half done in your sewing bin. I just spent $5.00 for a whole bag of clothing and picture frames on a 50% off day at the local second hand shop. Even the bargain stores have bargain days. Don't worry, it all washes.
- Christmas: Start making things now to keep the Christmas budget down, better yet, you will be enjoying the fruits of your after Christmas Day sale from last year, or plan ahead for that after Christmas sale this year.
- Plan your errands together: As long as you are out make a map to hit all the errands on your list to save on gas. It also helps to keep you at home for the rest of the week. If you don't have it on hand ask yourself, do I really need it?
- Don't be frugal with your time with the Lord: If there is one area we should not be frugal that is in communion with our Father and His word. He can fill our hearts with all that we need and fill us with contentment that overflows to all areas of our lives. Make that your chaallenge for one week and see what the Lord will do!
Friday, August 22, 2008
Frugal Friday 8-21-08
On being frugal